This is yet another illustration of the power of social media with an introduction from long time Twitter connection @CareerSherpa Hannah Morgan to Mary van de Wiel, Brand Anthropologist, creator of NY Brand Lab & Brand Audits and of Zing Your Brand. .
As CEO, Brand Anthropologist at The NY Brand Lab and ZingYourBrand.com, a NY-based consultancy, workspace & lab, Van helps entrepreneurs, start-up CEOs and business leaders recognize themselves so others can. With a strong background in advertising as a high-profile Creative Director she has many corporate successful campaigns under her belt.
Van invited me to an intercontinental radio interview yesterday! She is a skilled interviewer and the time flew. We had great fun and lots of useful tips emerged from our dialogue.
So what does Personal Branding mean to the job seeker or a person in transition? I wondered if I dare tell Mary, a noted Brand Anthropologist, that I hate the phrase and the first thing I do in my coaching programme is de-mystify it and make the process accessible !
I did! Listen to find out!
Most important takeaways:
- Set goals! Make career management part of your ongoing annual routine and career strategy . Your brand, visibility and online and digital presence should always be in line with those goals.
- Brand YOU marketing will vary from one person to another. Be authentic.
- Recruiters are time bound – use the top half of your LinkedIn profile wisely with easy to digest but punchy text with key words included.
- An online presence is only a tool to get you to interview and meetings.
- Don’t wait until you have a problem to take care of your career.
- Network, network AND then network!.
My two dares:
- Find 6 new powerful words to describe yourself. Think of a new way of telling your story . Use your transferable skills. Create a dialogue.
- Invite 2 new people from your organisation or network to lunch before the end of the year. Why only two? I want it to be achievable!
Enjoy! Let me know if you make your dares!